Learn how to make the most of Apple’s mobile operating systems!
The latest annual update to iOS features the usual selection of new features, improved user interface, and security enhancements. It also marks the split of Apple’s mobile operating system into iOS (for iPhone and iPod touch) and iPadOS (for iPad only). This is more than just a name change; with iPadOS 13, the iPad gets huge improvements that bring it much closer to the computing power and flexibility we expect from conventional computers. TidBITS Managing Editor Josh Centers is back to guide you through all the major capabilities of both operating systems in this new book.
Take Control of iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 goes far beyond the new features, providing an extensive guide to getting the most out of iOS 13 and iPadOS 13. Among other things, you’ll learn how to:
- New! Discover all the major changes in iOS and iPadOS
- New! Use activity views (which replace Share sheets and are for more than just sharing)
- New! Enable Dark Mode on your mobile device
- Updated! Use the new Find My app
- New! Make the most of improved text editing tools
- Updated! Use Siri and Shortcuts to do even more than before, thanks to significantly expanded capabilities
- New! Use accessibility improvements, including voice control and mouse support
- Updated! Discover the new (and existing) capabilities of Apple’s upgraded apps–including Files, Mail, Maps, Messages, Notes, and Reminders
- Updated! Use Screen Time to make better choices about when and how you use your device
- New! Work with the updated iPad Home screen, Dock, and onscreen keyboard
- New! Learn about the new iPad multitasking capabilities, including more ways to split the screen, use multiple windows, and drag & drop between apps
- New! Browse the web with ease using the desktop-class Safari for iPadOS
- New! Use the significantly updated Camera and Photos apps to take photos and videos, apply camera effects, and organize your media
- Make sense of the Lock screen, Home screen, and Control Center–and customize them to meet your needs
- Search with Spotlight
- Switch between apps and use Handoff to transfer your work
- Navigate the App Store
- Understand the ins and outs of Family Sharing
- Manage your data–both locally on your device and in the cloud
- Make calls and use FaceTime and Voicemail
- Organize your Wallet and use Apple Pay
- Protect your privacy
- Improve your battery life
- …and much more!
Anyone with a compatible iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch will benefit from Josh’s in-depth explanations.