Game Development with Rust and WebAssembly: Learn how to run Rust on the web while building a game
Write an endless runner game for the web in Rust and test, deploy, and debug your 2D game using the WebAssembly toolchain
- Build and deploy an endless runner game for the web from scratch through this helpful guide with key images printed in color
- Learn how to use Rust for web development with WebAssembly
- Explore modern game development and programming techniques to build 2D games using Rust
This book is an easy-to-follow reference to help you develop your own games, teaching you all about game development and how to create an endless runner from scratch. You’ll begin by drawing simple graphics in the browser window, and then learn how to move the main character across the screen. You’ll also create a game loop, a renderer, and more, all written entirely in Rust. After getting simple shapes onto the screen, you’ll scale the challenge by adding sprites, sounds, and user input. As you advance, you’ll discover how to implement a procedurally generated world. Finally, you’ll learn how to keep your Rust code clean and organized so you can continue to implement new features and deploy your app on the web.
By the end of this Rust programming book, you’ll build a 2D game in Rust, deploy it to the web, and be confident enough to start building your own games.
What you will learn
- Build and deploy a Rust application to the web using WebAssembly
- Use wasm-bindgen and the Canvas API to draw real-time graphics
- Write a game loop and take keyboard input for dynamic action
- Explore collision detection and create a dynamic character that can jump on and off platforms and fall down holes
- Manage animations using state machines
- Generate levels procedurally for an endless runner
- Load and display sprites and sprite sheets for animations
- Test, refactor, and keep your code clean and maintainable
Who this book is for
How to download source code?
1. Go to:
2. In the Find a repository… box, search the book title:
Game Development with Rust and WebAssembly: Learn how to run Rust on the web while building a game, sometime you may not get the results, please search the main title.
3. Click the book title in the search results.
3. Click Code to download.
1. Disable the AdBlock plugin. Otherwise, you may not get any links.
2. Solve the CAPTCHA.
3. Click download link.
4. Lead to download server to download.