Catalyst by Tutorials, 3rd Edition: Bringing iOS Apps to the Mac
Learn to Run Your iOS Apps on macOS Using Catalyst!
Catalyst allows you to take code that you’ve written for iOS devices and run it on macOS, opening up a whole new platform — and a new universe of users — that you can reach using your existing code and knowledge. But, there are differences in the platforms; you need to know these differences to make great macOS apps. In this book, you’ll learn how to take an iOS app to macOS the easy way: by following fun and easy-to-read tutorials.
Who This Book Is For
This book is for any developer who wants to learn how to use Catalyst to apply iOS skills to developing apps for macOS.
Topics Covered in Catalyst by Tutorials
- Drag-and-Drop: Copy and move images in your app using Drag-and-Drop API.
- Multi-Window Support: Learn how to support multiple app windows on iPad and Mac.
- Menus: Context menus are new to iPad, but on Mac, they’re essential. Learn how to create context menus and the main menu for your Mac app.
- Keyboard shortcuts: Learn how to give your users a productivity boost with keyboard shortcuts.
- Preferences: Give your users control over settings in your apps with preferences.
- Mouse: One of the main differences between iOS and Mac apps is mouse support. Learn how this difference impacts your Catalyst app.
- Toolbar and TouchBar: Give your app some extra polish by supporting these Mac-only UI elements.
- Distribution: Once you have your Mac app, you’ll learn to roll out your app to testers using TestFlight. Finally, you’ll learn what’s different from iOS in getting that app to your users.
One thing you can count on: After reading this book, you’ll be prepared to take advantage of all that Catalyst has to offer!
Book License What You Need Book Source Code & Forums About the Authors About the Editors Acknowledgments Content Development Introduction What is This Book? Catalyst Where to Go From Here? Chapter 1: The Checkbox The Sample App: Journalyst The iPad Checkbox The Mac Catalyst Checkbox Key Points Where to Go From Here? Chapter 2: Migrating to Split View Controller Getting Started Integrating Split View Controller Updating the UI macOS Split Views Key Points Where to Go From Here? Chapter 3: Drag & Drop How do Drag and Drop Work? Dropping New Photos Dropping Inside UICollectionView Reordering Collection View Items Key Points Where to Go From Here? Chapter 4: Setting the Scene(s) Introducing Multiple Windows for iPad Enabling Multi-Window in Xcode Improving the Standard Multi-Window Experience Adding Custom Drag Behavior to Create a New Window Trying it on the Mac Key Points Where to Go From Here? Chapter 5: Adding Some Context Introducing Context Menus Adding a Context Interaction Opening a New Window Creating a New Entry Adding an Image to an Entry Add an Entry to Favorites Sharing an Entry Deleting an Entry Trying it on macOS Key Points Where to Go From Here? Chapter 6: The Keyboard Getting Started First Responders Adding the Commands Alternate Keyboard Handling Key Points Where to Go From Here? Chapter 7: Preferences & Settings Bundle Getting Started Adding the Settings Bundle Responding to Change Child Panes Key Points Where to Go From Here? Chapter 8: Making Your App Feel at Home on macOS It Starts With an App Icon Adding a Touch of Color A Word on Typography Sizing Down Window Resizing Preferential Treatment A Few More Odds and Ends Key Points Where to Go From Here? Chapter 9: The Mouse Getting Started Pointer Style Providers Adding Effects With Hover Gesture Recognizer A Few Notes on Elements and Haptics Accessorize Key Points Where to Go From Here? Chapter 10: Barista Training: Menu Bar A Free Menu Bar The Responder Chain Beyond the Default Menu Deleting Entries Sharing Entries Key Points Where to Go From Here? Chapter 11: Barista Training: Toolbar Getting Started Adding the Toolbar Adding Buttons Customizing the Toolbar Responding to Actions Sharing Key Points Where to Go From Here? Chapter 12: Barista Training: The Touch Bar Understanding the Touch Bar Adding Items Grouping Items Customizing the Touch Bar Key Points Where to Go From Here? Chapter 13: Releasing on the App Store Updating Existing Catalyst Apps The App Store vs. Third-Party Distribution Adding Your App to the App Store Testing Your App With TestFlight Releasing Your App Selling Your macOS App Separately Key Points Where to Go From Here? Chapter 14: Third-Party Distribution Signed, Notarized and Delivered Creating a DMG File Notarizing Disk Images Key Points Where to Go From Here? Conclusion
1. Disable the AdBlock plugin. Otherwise, you may not get any links.
2. Solve the CAPTCHA.
3. Click download link.
4. Lead to download server to download.