arc42 by Example: Software architecture documentation in practice
Document the architecture of your software easily with this highly practical, open-source template.
- Get to grips with leveraging the features of arc42 to create insightful documents
- Learn the concepts of software architecture documentation through real-world examples
- Discover techniques to create compact, helpful, and easy-to-read documentation
When developers document the architecture of their systems, they often invent their own specific ways of articulating structures, designs, concepts, and decisions. What they need is a template that enables simple and efficient software architecture documentation. arc42 by Example shows how it’s done through several real-world examples.
Each example in the book, whether it is a chess engine, a huge CRM system, or a cool web system, starts with a brief description of the problem domain and the quality requirements. Then, you’ll discover the system context with all the external interfaces. You’ll dive into an overview of the solution strategy to implement the building blocks and runtime scenarios. The later chapters also explain various cross-cutting concerns and how they affect other aspects of a program.
What you will learn
- Utilize arc42 to document a system’s physical infrastructure
- Learn how to identify a system’s scope and boundaries
- Break a system down into building blocks and illustrate the relationships between them
- Discover how to describe the runtime behavior of a system
- Know how to document design decisions and their reasons
- Explore the risks and technical debt of your system
Who this book is for
This book is for software developers and solutions architects who are looking for an easy, open-source tool to document their systems. It is a useful reference for those who are already using arc42. If you are new to arc42, this book is a great learning resource. For those of you who want to write better technical documentation will benefit from the general concepts covered in this book.
Table of Contents
- HTML Sanity Checking
- Mass Market Customer Relationship Management
- macOS Menu Bar Application